Friday 27 April 2007

God and Gaudi


Q. What's the difference between God and an architect?
A. God doesn't think he's an architect.....

It's a first for Architecture and merits a little 'hors sujet' of its own:
Up until now the only patron saint remotely useful to architects was Saint Jude. Now it seems we're going to have our very own saint in the form of Antonio Gaudi, or God's architect as he is sometimes referred to in Spain. Apparently he's being canonised at this very moment. According to the Vatican it's not so much for his miracles but for his willingness to answer prayers. This is surprising as most of what your every day run of the mill architect does for his/her client is very much on a par with miracles. I'm damn sure Gaudi wasn't an exception. Despite not being of that persuasion I'm all in favour of this patron saint business. In fact I think the church should take it all the way. What about a few relics?

The Holy Rotring of Barcelona
The Holy Tryptich
(you know how it goes - three A0 drawings on featherlight board with plans elevations and full colour perspectives for monday morning)


Any other ideas will be welcome. Leave a comment

By the way, if the The Client reads this, she shouldn't worry, her house will not take anywhere near as long to build as the Sagradia Familia, but then again if she wants to light a candle.......?

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Were I a practicing Catholic (rather than a lapsed Presbyterian), I'm sure that I'd have Saint Jude as a spiritual consultant on all of my projects. He certainly seems more relevant to our work than does Saint Barbara, who I think is the closest thing to an official patron saint that we architects have. As I understand it, Barbara is ours because she was locked up in a tower. Sure, my work sometimes makes me feel like I'm locked up in a tower, or should be locked up, anyway, but having been locked up is not what I'm looking for in a saint. Were it up to me, I'd choose Antonio Gaudi as our patron; I'd love to have the aid of a saint who says, "My client is not in a hurry."